My exams are finally finished so I’ll be back with regular posts! One thing that a lot of us want in this season it to keep our skin looking radiant and smooth and for our makeup to be flawless. Here are some tips and tricks to keep your skin on 100 and to have your makeup slaying ALL DAY!
- Primers – When it comes to keeping your makeup on all day primers are so important. Whether you have oily or dry skin there will definitely be a primer out there that suits your needs. Personally for a high end brand I recommend Smashbox cosmetics primers and a good drugstore brand would be No. 7.
- Setting spray – This works similarly to primers but is applied at the very last stage of makeup application. This helps your makeup to stay on all day, even if you sweat, once you dab the sweat off, your makeup will remain intact. The best setting spray I have come across is the Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray and I have found no drugstore alternative that suits me but I have heard that the NYX and makeup revolution alternatives work well.
- Powder – Powders are really good for keeping your face matte if that’s the look you’re going for. They can be applied before makeup to help with oil control. They Can also be applied during your makeup routine when you are setting your under eyes and the rest of your face (remember not to overdo it to avoid looking ashy).
- Foundations – Foundations as they are named are an important foundation to your makeup and if you don’t get your foundation right the rest of your makeup will not turn out nicely. Having a foundation that suits your skin type is extremely important. As someone with oily skin I can say that using mattifying foundations help especially in hot weather as they last longer and keep your makeup in place.
- Witch Hazel – This is a product that I will never stop going on about. In hot weather with sweat and excess build up on skin we’re more likely to get unwanted pimples. Witch hazel helps with this and is perfect to have as part of your daily skincare routine (I use it as a toner).
- SPF – One myth that we are told as women of colour is that we don’t need to use SPF. This is a BIG skincare myth, using SPF has become a part of my daily skincare routine. There are also moisturisers you can get containing SPF. This helps protect your skin and prevent damage from the sun. It helps your face stay wrinkle free and youthful. Moisturising and putting SPF on your lips is also very important because it helps them from getting too dry and cracking.
- Cleansers – Cleansers are extremely important in the summer as they cleanse your skin and get rid of impurities and leave your skin looking fresh and hydrated.
- Moisturisers – as well as moisturisers with SPF which I mentioned above, there are also moisturisers you can get that moisturise your skin but also keep it matte at the same time. This prevents your skin getting greasy through the day!
- Always carry blotting paper to keep your makeup matte during the day (charcoal ones are the best)
- Also take your powder and a brush around to freshen up after blotting
- Keep your highlight handy to top up your highlighter and blind your enemies all day long 🙂
- Keep your setting spray handy to reapply if needed
- Use eye creams in the morning to keep your eye area fresh and avoid wrinkling
- Exfoliate regularly to stimulate skin cells and give you that constant sun kissed glow 🙂
These are my top tips for the summer when it comes to makeup and skincare. Comment below any things you do to look after your skin and keep your makeup in tip top shape in this season! Most importantly enjoy the sun xx
Peace and love